F.R.P.D. Company History 1911 — Present
An over one hundred year commitment to excellence in marine construction has seen Fraser River Pile & Dredge (GP) Inc. grow from a small, three-man partnership into a sophisticated construction and dredging operation capable of successfully completing all types and sizes of projects.
Over a century of contract experience in wharves, piers, docks, pile driving, bridges, barge and ferry ramps and dredging makes FRPD the leading integrated marine construction and dredging company in Canada today. The following are a few of the highlights of the company's growth and development since its founding over 100 years ago.
In 1911, Stanley Simpson, Perley Jones and Charles Harding established a three man partnership, Fraser River Pile Driving. Although founded in 1911, the company spent much of that first year building its own piledrivers and getting other equipment ready for anticipated contracts.
The first job the company took had a contract price of $144.10 and entailed driving, sawing off and capping 40 piles. During these formative years, the company built up a team of dedicated employees and went on to complete projects for a number of New Westminster based companies, and provided maintenance services and repair work for 14 different canneries in what is known today as the lower mainland. One of the company's earliest "major" contracts was building the B.C. Transport Company's wharf in New Westminster for $47,880.
The Flood of '48 in the Fraser Valley washed out dikes, roads, bridges, power and telegraph lines. Highways, railroads and farmlands were submerged, and the C.P.R. mainline lost 600 feet of track. Fraser River Pile Driving moved men, equipment and materials into place and went to work. In just 13 days, the C.P.R. was back in operation; a full three weeks before the C.N.R. tracks reopened. In 1956 the company constructed the original Pitt River Bridge and went on to build numerous bulk loading terminals throughout the Province during the 60's and 70's.
During the mid 80's Fraser River Pile Driving, Centennial Dredging & Sand Ltd., Sceptre Dredging Ltd., Kapilano Scow Rentals and Harbour Heavy Lift went through a series of mergers and acquisitions that eventually became Fraser River Pile & Dredge (GP) Inc. (FRPD) a company incorporated in Alberta, February 25th, 2008.
Today, the company which started out as a three man partnership has grown to become the largest Canadian marine construction, land foundations and dredging contractor. The company employs more than 300 people in peak construction periods and the same company that earned $144.10 on its first contract now regularly wins and successfully completes contracts for multi-million dollar projects. Since the company's first days in business its success is directly related to the highly skilled employees that work safely and are dedicated to providing value to all stakeholders. To this end, during the late 90s the company adopted the tag line "We Set the Standard" with the intention of focusing all efforts to continually achieving a higher level of standard.